Holiday Cottages in Rethymno
Villas in Rethymno
Rethymno is located between the two other major cities of Crete, 60 kilometers west of Heraklion and 45 kilometers east of Chania. The urban area of Rethymno extends in an east-west orientation 5.5 kilometers along the north coast of the island on the Cretan Sea, part of the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. The center and the historic core of the city are located on a rocky peninsula, the bay to the east of this allowed the creation of a port. The area of Rethymno was already inhabited in the Neolithic period (6000-2600 BC). Archaeological finds from the Idean Grotto (Ιδαίον Άντρον, Ideon Andron) in the Psiloritis massif, from the Gerani cave to the west of Rethymno  and from Elenon in the Amari area bear witness to this. The first evidence of a settlement in the city of Rethymno date from late Minoan times (1350-1250 BC). In the southern district of Mastaba, a funerary grave was excavated. The same period is a cemetery belonging to the municipality of the city belonging Armeni. Near this place was in the following geometric and classical period (1100-620 BC) a settlement on the high plateau Onythe of the mountain Vrysinas.
The Archaeological Museum of Rethymno, founded in 1887, is housed since 1991 in a pentagonal building of the former prison in front of the eastern main entrance of the Fortezza (‘fortress’), built under Ottoman rule as a fortification to protect the fortress entrance. It mainly shows finds from the region of Rethymno from the Neolithic to the classical period (for example from Gerani or Armeni). Outstanding pieces of the collection are the clay sarcophagi (Larnax) from the excavations on the site of the Late Minoan cemetery of Armeni, painted with typical late-Mino motifs.
Founded in 1994, the Church Museum is located on Mitropoli Square at the Cathedral of Rethymno. On display are ecclesiastical objects dating from 1816 to the present day, such as measuring utensils, icons and church bells. You can also see the clock tower of a bell tower, which was in operation from 1894 to 1986.
Housed in an abbey in Rethymno’s old town, the Museum of Oceanography houses collections of mollusks, sponges, fish and some fossils.
The above the town of Rethymno, on the hill Paleokastro (Παλαιόκαστρο) the northern peninsula west of the port, located Venetian fortification is named after the Italian name for ‘fortress’ still only Fortezza (Φορτέτζα). It was planned after an Ottoman attack on 7 July 1571 by Uludsch Ali Pasha (Ουλούτζ Αλή, Italian Occhiali) on behalf of the governor (Rettore, Rector ‘) Alvise Lando by the architect Sforza Pallavicini and after laying the cornerstone on 13 September 1573 built to 1578 under the direction of civil engineer Gian Paolo Ferrari, after many changes, however, completed in 1590. Initially, it was planned to move the entire Venetian town of Retimo behind the walls of the Fortezza, which was not carried out due to the lack of space within the fortress walls.